Symptoms of depression
Symptoms of depression are lasting, cause significant distress and interfere with life and happiness. These symptoms include:
- Feeling sad or down most of the day, every day for weeks or months
- Loss of interest in activities that you used to enjoy, including sex
- Appetite/weight change
- Significant feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness or guilt
- Recurring thoughts of death or suicide
What makes these symptoms different from ordinary experiences?
- They’re lasting
- They cause you significant distress
- They’re interfering with your life and happiness
If you think you have depression or an anxiety disorder, it’s important to remember that the earlier you share your feelings with your doctor, the closer you get to peace of mind.